THE WINDFIRE SERIES

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

NaNoWriMo is Upon Us!


That's right...it's that time, ladies and gents! Time to be putting your thinking cap on (yes, with horns), purchase dubious amounts of caffeine, load your Starbucks or Argo Tea card, make sure your laptop or computer is in working order, and jot down a outline for your next novel (if you've done that yet).

National Novel Writers Month (aka NaNoWriMo) is upon us again and thousands (millions?) around the globe will join together to support one another in the art of storytelling. Each person who joins (its FREE to do so!)  will embark on a journey to write a 50,000 word novel in the 30 days of November.

Why?

Because we're crazy. Because we love to write. Because we love a challenge.

My first year of NaNo I was working on Moon Over Manhattan and wanted to see how fast I could write 50K. I did it in two weeks. O_O  I was shocked. So the second year (aka last year) I took my time and enjoyed it. Mind you, I type rather fast, and I have a wee bit o' Hyperactive Disorder, so my brain goes about as fast as my fingers...but, MANY people get 50K done in 30 days. You can to!

But how do you join the crazies? How do you become a part of the growing number of those who bond together both in person and across the internet each November? Easy! Go HERE or type www.nanowrimo.com in your browser. The site will take you through the steps of joining. And once you do...go to "NaNo Near You" at the top and see where people in your city are meeting up for kick off parties, write-ins, and so on. I met the amazing people of my writing group by going to write-ins on Sunday afternoons back in 2010. They have become a very important part of my life and I'm pretty sure I'd not be published now without their friendship, critiques, and support.

You see, writing is an alone sport most of the time. It's really important, in my opinion, that writers get out of their offices/cubicals/bedrooms/etc and interact with other writers. These people understand your passion. They are supportive of it and you. So pack up your laptop and head out! You won't regret it.

You can also choose to do this from home and not go out...no one will question that. Some folks never attend a write-in. They work better alone. Which is fine too! In fact, you can join online write-ins where people sign into the site and do writing sprints, ask questions, and commune with writers all over the world. So if your city doesn't have write-ins you can attend, you can do the online version. They are fun and motiviating, just like going to the ones in person.

You may ask why I'm writing this when you already know all about NaNo. Well, it seems I've come across a lot of people who like to write lately who do NOT know about it. Most were at NYCC, one was at the club, and most recently an aquaintence in Denver (Pixie) I know through Sanctuary Radio was interested. So...pass this blog post on to others if you know they like to write. They may not know either!

That said, if you are a NYC based writer, the kick off party for NaNo is this upcoming Monday night at 6pm at Lily O'Brien's Irish Pub/Restaurant in Tribeca. No writing, just drink, food, and chatter. I'll be there...hope to see you there, too!

Until then...below is a calendar to help/inspire you through NaNo that I found online. Enjoy!

xo

Tamsin :)

P.S. Oh, and add me as a writing buddy if you want! You'll find me under Tamsin_Silver. I'll be working on the next few Clandestine Conflict short stories so that I have enough for a book! So if you liked Heroes Square (available on Nook, Kindle, and Smashwords for 99 cents) I'm writing the sequels this November!


1 comment:

  1. Tamsiiiiiiin!

    So you realize that having an ex-ML in your apartment basically guarantees you a win, because I won't get off your back. XD

    I agree that NaNo is SO MUCH FUN and such a group effort. My writing professor told us that writing is a solitary art, and I raised my hand and told him, "I beg to differ." He had heard of NaNo before, but thought I was crazy. I'm perfectly fine with that.

    ReplyDelete