THE WINDFIRE SERIES

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

NaNoWriMo...here I come!



















"What the hell is NaNoWriMo?"

"Oh, that's just the abbreviation for the National Novel Writers Month. You know, when millions of people around the globe decide they're crazy enough to try and write a 50K word book in 30 days."

"You're kidding, right?"

"Uh, no."

"Really, people actually DO this sorta of thing? Put their life on hold for a whole month so as to write a damn book?"

"Fifty thousand words, thank you."

"But why the hell would you want to do that?"

"Cause its fun?"

"Seriously. Come on now."

"It is! It's fun. I mean, if you're a writer. It's also a great challenge."

"Are you doing this?"

"I am. You should too."

"No thank you. I have...uh...TV to watch at night and...uh...sleeping in to do...and uh...yeah."

"Lame. I'm going to be finishing up a novel I started to work on before I broke my hand. Last year was my first year and I used it to finish writing Moon Over Manhattan. I wanted to see how long it'd take me to write 50K."

"So, how long did it take you?"

"Not as long as I thought...but I was in the climax of the story so it was easier to do. Plus, writing a sequel story is less difficult since the world is already so solid in your mind."

"Really, you're not going to tell me how long it took you?"

"Nope. None of your business. Just know I finished early."

"Let me get this straight, NaNoWriMo is to finish writing a book?"

"No no no. Most people are starting a new book and will finish it by the end of the month. You're supposed to start a new novel...and I'd planned to. Even had an idea. But then I broke my hand in August and left the second half of The Cameron Chronicles just sitting to be done. So I need to finish that. NaNo will push me to do so. Didn't you say you were trying to write something but couldn't stay focused? This would be a great chance to do that."

"I don't have the money."

"Uh...dude...it's free."

"Oh. Well. Uh..."

"Come on...just sign up and try. To be honest, it's how I met my writing group. They're just wonderful people and I truly think it was one of the best things I've done in years...joining NaNo. I love these girls to death. I just can't really tell you how great it is, as a writer...a solo activity most of the time...to have a support system of great gals (and some guys) to help you and encourage you. Best thing I've done in years. Honestly."

"Hmmm...I did really want to write that story I started last year..."

"Then come on and join! You'll have an excuse to do something other than go home and watch TV. AND, they have Write-Ins you can go to so you're writing with other writers!"

"Yeah...but I live in Queens. Coming to Manhattan at night to write would be difficult."

"They have Write-Ins all over the NYC burroughs. I think Queens is Tuesday...but you know my memory...go online and check it out! It's at www.nanowrimo.org ... sign up for free and then, on November 1st...we start!"

"I don't know..."

"How about this, tonight is a kick off party at No Idea Bar on 20th Street between Park and Broadway. Come with me. Meet some of my friends. I think you'll change your mind."

"What time?"

"It starts at seven. Free pizza and prizes too! I even offered up a free copy of my book as one of the prizes. Eeek! Hope whoever wins it likes Fantasy! Ha!"

"Okay, I'll go. And ya know what? I'll sign up to do this. Can't hurt, right? Even if I don't finish, it'll be fun, I'll meet new people, and I'll make some headway on the story. It's a win win win. See you tonight!"

----------------------------------------------

So....will I see YOU tonight at the NYC NaNo kick off party? Not joined NaNo? You should! Trust me, I meant what I said in the above invented conversation. You won't regret it.

Anyhoo...time for me to get back to work!

Hope to see you tonight! And if you can't make the party...hope to see you at a Write-In in Manhattan...Sunday afternoons and Monday nights! Woot!

Cheers!

Tamsin :)

No comments:

Post a Comment