THE WINDFIRE SERIES

Friday, March 18, 2011

Inspiration

"It's a terrible thing to see and have no vision." - Helen Keller

I saw this quote this morning on the train and got inspired with concern to my new adventure that I blogged about last time we met here. Mind you, it could have been the music I was listening to at the time, Elba by E.S. Posthumus, but either way...here me out.

This quote not only hit me hard but it reminded me of something. When I was a young girl, age ten or eleven, my parent's took me to my first play ever. It was "The Miracle Worker". My mother says I turned to her at the intermission and told her, "I can do that." And so I did. (For more on this story...for those who know my real name...you can go to that blog and today's date).

Hence, when I saw this quote this morning I suddenly KNEW it was the theme quote for the teenage theatre company I hope to one day offer to NYC kids. That, and that "Miracle Worker" should be our first full show. I know I'm waaaay ahead of myself as we plan to start small, start with a festival, but...ever had one of those moments where you just "know" something is right? This, this is right. Without question, without pause. It's the right track. For me to direct kids in a show that inspired me to get into theatre...its honestly a no brainer. It's inspiration at the highest level.

As I continued to head to work, this idea bubbling in my brain, I switched my iPod to my dance music mix for my walking (I like to walk at a good clip for exercise). The song "Dynamite" that was big this past summer by Taio Cruz came on. Take the words from that and add it to the mood I was in and BAM! I was giggly. No joke. Giggly at 9:30am. It helped that it was a sunny and warm morning here in NYC too. :)

I started to see a group of kids in my head, warming up to the song. Don't ask why my mind works this way, I have no answer. And certain words in it hit me. We'll start with the 1st time he sings the chorus and move from there. I've bolded the lines I feel are something to focus on.

I throw my hands up in the air sometimes
Saying AYO!
Gotta let go!
I wanna celebrate and live my life
Saying AYO!
Baby, let's go!

'Cause we gon' rock this club
We gon' go all night
We gon' light it up
Like it's dynamite!
'Cause I told you once
Now I told you twice
We gon' light it up

Like it's dynamite!

I came to move, move, move, move
Get out the way me and my crew, crew, crew, crew
I'm in the club so I'm gonna do, do, do, do
Just what the fuck, came here to do, do, do, do

Cause it goes on and on and on
And it goes on and on and on

I throw my hands up in the air sometimes
Saying AYO!
Gotta let go!
I wanna celebrate and live my life
Saying AYO!
Baby, let's go!

'Cause we gon' rock this club
We gon' go all night
We gon' light it up
Like it's dynamite!
'Cause I told you once
Now I told you twice
We gon' light it up

Like it's dynamite!

I'm gonna take it all like,
I'm gonna be the last one standing,
I'm alone and all I
I'm gonna be the last one landing
'Cause I, I, I Believe it

And I, I, I
I just want it all, I just want it all
I'm gonna put my hands in the air
Hands in the air
Put your hands in the air


......and the song goes on, you get the point.

Yeah, it's a simple song and there are tons of songs our there with great messages and better writing, duh. But the energy this song gives and the words I've highlighted got me thinking.

As an actor you have to let go. Let go of all the bullshit, let go of preconceived notions about both yourself and the world around you, let go of any hang ups you have about what you look like, let go of any embarrassement you could feel about being "different", let go of self conciousness, and let go of the fear of doing something wrong...cause baby, if you're gonna do it wrong...do it BIG!

It's proven more often than not that drama classes can build these traits I speak of in a teenager. It did for me...I've seen it do it for my past students. The TV show "GLEE" is using the Glee Club instead of the Drama Club but they're teaching the same ideas there. No, not all those characters will leave high school and become a pro...just like kids who study theatre in high school will persue a full time life of theatre. BUT, it can give them the tools to take ahold of their life by the balls and do with it as they want to. No saying, "I could've done ________." Instead they'll get to know who they are and what they do well. When someone understands that, there are no limits to what they can achieve. Not just professionally, but personally.

I say this because these skills aren't just for theatre, they work in real life too. If you're not willing to take chances, you'll get nowhere. Theatre creates a base in self confidence and positive self image. Plus, if you ARE going to move on and go into performing as a career...a solid base before adult theatre training is important. In University's and schools like the William Esper Studio you get completely torn down to your core being (which I believe in whole heartedly) so as to rebuild yourself and your craft. But, if the actor/actress doesn't get to have that foundation from earlier study in their teens they may not do so well on that adult rebuild later. Notice I said "may". Not everyone is the same, obviously. But on the average, those who want to study theatre heavily in college or schools like Esper, need a theatrical basis from somewhere. If our schools are going to stop teaching that...well then...we need to pick up the slack.

Which is, as I've said, what I plan to do. Hopefully. :)

Theatre work for a teenager is vital and effects life in general, be that a life as a banker or life as a performer. I plan to go to each of my students that I've worked with in the past and have them tell you how it effected them. I hope you look forward to their answers as much as I do.

Have a great weekend all!

Tamsin :)

No comments:

Post a Comment