THE WINDFIRE SERIES

Friday, April 9, 2010

QUOTES

I'm this HUGE fan of the TV show Criminal Minds. As of tonight I'll own all 4 Seasons on DVD. I even decided to base one of my new characters who is at the end of Book 3 and now in Book 4 on one of the actors...why? For visual fun for me. If I have to look at these characters in my head all day, they should be someone I wanna see...that's my lame and weak excuse and I'm stickin' to it! ;)

That said, I'm also a big fan of the quotes they use to open and end the cases with. I've even started jotting them down if they strike my fancy. I have a TOP THREE at this point. But, I think that one in particular fits this book (and series too) so I shall share it with you.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars. - Kahlil Gibran

Kahlil Gibran was a Lebanese artist & poet in the US (1883 - 1931). I know this because there's this GREAT web page...http://www.quotationspage.com/ that helps you find quotes, who said them, and sometimes where the quotes come from. It's called "The Quotations Page". I use it to find the full quote of stuff I hear on the show.

Anyhoo, back to my new favorite quote. I've put my leading lady through hell. My readers who follow the series for me and give me input are always giving me flack for it. Things like, "How much more can this girl take?!" "Do you not like her anymore?" "Do you just like making her life hell?" I am of the firm belief (and I'm sure I've said this before) that the most interesting people have lived life and have had life happen to them. Not only that, but if the end of my story is to have a somewhat happy ending I think they need to have earned it. And when I say "happy" all I mean is an ending where the good guys win...in theory...which you sort of think is the case being as that the books tell you that they are being written in 2010 as historical volumes for the past 13 years. If my leading lady is writing them in 2010, chances are she survived the war. What's intersting to me is the "how".

I've always been this way. I literally don't care if I already know the ending of some movie or book...I enjoy the story...the "how" of it all. Plus, if I know my favorite character lives I don't rush the reading process to make sure. I can really enjoy the process/story/adventure the author takes me on. I know, I'm weird that way. Most people will say, "Don't tell me the end!!!" and I'm like, "Tell me, do they live? What happens in the end? Is it a happy ending?" Sad ending make me feel ruined internally. With so many unhappy things in life, why must the ending be shitty? It may not be perfect but come on, we read, see plays, watch movies & TV to escape to a different universe...why would I want that ending to suck like real life? I know I know, cause it's "realistic". Ya know what? If I want realisitic I'd have a job as a police officer or lawyer and watch movies like "The Perfect Storm" and read plays like "Desire Under the Elms"...but that's not me. :)

Maybe that's why I love Criminal Minds so much. It's a tried and true plotline (with some surprises...don't get me wrong): People are killed, the BAU goes in, they disect "who" this crazy person is, they collect clues, they hunt them, they catch them, and they go home. Does it ruin it for me that you are pretty sure they'll catch him/her? No. I love the journey and the puzzle the amazing writers create. As well as their quotes for the begining and end.

Speaking of those quotes...I leave you with my other two faves...so that you have my TOP THREE. Enjoy! -Tamsin :)


Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. -Cyril Connolly (1903 - 1974)

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.-Tom Stoppard (1937 - ), Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

No comments:

Post a Comment