THE WINDFIRE SERIES

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

It's a Small World Sometimes...

In NYC we often say "It's a big city, but a small world."  This is because we're all connected one way or another on this damn island. Six months can't go by where you don't suddenly realize Friend A knows Friend C, even though you never introduced them. For example, 2 weeks ago, my friend Terri from the Goth/Industrial Club Scene shoots me a Twitter message that says "Kathy from 2nd floor says hi." It took me a minute to realize she meant one of my fave co-workers on my old floor here at the hospital. Strange things happen here.

So, that said, some friends and I were discussing things like this the other day and I told the following story. Afterwards, I thought you all, the massive 9 who read this blog, might find it funny. So here goes...

When I was 5 years old, I lived in Bay City, MI. I remember the house we lived in very well, even until this day. Now, considering that by 6 years of age I was out of that house, that's saying something for my old brain.

The house wasn't a full two story, but the primary part of the house was up higher than a normal 1st level and we had a lower level back room that I played in a lot while my dad played music or read. Somewhere in my many photo albums, there's a cute pic of me sitting on the back of the couch behind him as he sits and reads on that horrible plastic, tan sofa. Oh the 70's...

Anyway, the house was close to being in the center of the block, and across from my house was a fenced-in, open area of grass. I believe it was part of the school's land that was across the street, down at the end of the block. Now, there was a boy that lived next door to us...and he liked to torment me. Yes, sometimes we'd play together, but often he liked to chase me, throw things at me, chase me with a bat, and generally be a dick...so to speak.

One Saturday morning I was watching cartoons in the living room and I hear this noise behind me. It's him. He's throwing small pebbles from my driveway at the window to get my attention. It was a nice, sunny, summer morning, and though the two small windows on either side of the large livingroom window that faced his house were open, I must've not heard him yelling up at me. (I get very into my movies and TV shows...what can I say?)

I looked down and reacted much like I do even today when you interupt me watching something...I get slightly perturbed. Even so, I asked him what he wanted. He told me...no, maybe "demanded" is a better term...that I come down and sweep his back yard's lawn.

O_o

I'm very sure I made that face at the time too. And yes, he said sweep, not mow. Obviously I told him no. And he demanded it again. I think I told him something akin to "when hell freezes over" but in 5-yr-old speak, and went back to my TV show. (Ah...not one for orders even back then.)

We moved shortly thereafter to Bridgeport, MI...where I spent the next 17 years in the same house, and really never thought of that kid again. Well, not often anyway.

Fast forward to college. I'm going to a community college and my boyfriend is from, and lives in Bay City. One weekend his parents go out of town so I went to stay with him and his brothers. When I arrive, Shane is sitting at the table with a pal of his from high school. We are introduced and we all sit at the table to have a beer and chat.

The kid across the table keeps looking at me oddly and finally says, "Did you ever live in Bay City?" (You know where this is going, I'm sure, but humor me and continue reading)

I told him sure, when I was like five.

He asked where.

I described it.

A look of realization comes across his face and suddenly I understand. He's the dick from next door who tried to order me to sweep his lawn. Who chased me with a bat. Who tormented me on a regular basis.

..............I proceded to chase that SOB around the table and then the house with a wooden spoon (it was handy) yelling something about him being a tormenting-little-fuck-of-a-child...asking him if he still like to order women around.

Shane was at a loss.

It was hilarious! :)

We ended our chase by falling on the couch laughing our asses off and then I explained to Shane.

I never saw that kid again sadly enough, and I don't remember his name. But looking back...if I hadn't moved...something tells me I mighta married that boy.

LOL!

Have a great week all!

xo Tamsin :)

No comments:

Post a Comment